Leaving a gift in your will is an important decision, but it doesn't have to be complicated.
We've tried to illustrate here what you need to consider:
- State in your will that you would like to leave a gift to us. We recommend using a solicitor or professional will-writer to make sure your will is legal and valid.
- Include our full name, to make sure the money goes to the right place: 'Brighter Futures (registered charity number 1050892)'.
- If you would like your gift to go towards a specific ward/department or a particular appeal you will be able to add this into your will. If you want to find out more please contact us.
- If you have already written us into your will, we're very grateful and would love it if you could let us know.
If you have already made a will you can make any additions or changes by adding a 'codicil'. This document should be signed, witnessed by two people and kept with the original will.
Your solicitor will advise you on the wording.
See also our 'Planning a will' leaflet, which is a useful worksheet and planner.
The types of gift you can leave
We receive many different types of gift in wills and we are so very grateful for every single one. Here are a few types of gift you can leave us in your will:
- A share of your estate: after you've provided for your family and friends, you can leave a share, or the remainder, of your estate to us. This is called a 'residuary gift'.
- Cash gift: this is when you leave an exact sum of money to us. It's known as a 'pecuniary gift'.
- A specific gift: this can be property, stocks and shares or other valuables such as a piece of jewellery.
- A gift in trust. You can leave a gift for someone to use over a period of time. When the time has ended, the gift can be passed on to other recipients, such as a charity.
If you have decided to leave a gift in your will to Brighter Futures, and would like to let us know, we would really like to write to thank you for your kindness.
Swindon Will Writing are offering a discount of 15% off their standard fees for simple straightforward Wills to all staff that work at the Great Western Hospital and patients who are treated at the Great Western Hospital.
If you would like to take up this offer, please contact Swindon Will Writing on 07538 946 839 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org for detailed information and terms and conditions. More information can also be found here.