At the Great Western Hospital we believe that art has an important role to play in the healing process. The 2007 Department of Health and Arts Council England publication, 'A Prospectus for Arts and Health' asserted that the arts have an important part to play in improving health and wellbeing.
In 2011, the British Medical Association published a paper on 'The psychological and social needs of patients' which found that arts and humanities programmes have been shown to have a positive effect on inpatients. The measured improvements include:
• inducing positive physiological and psychological changes in clinical outcomes
• reducing drug consumption
• shortening length of hospital stay
• promoting better doctor-patient relationships
• improving mental healthcare
Working with Paintings in Hospitals who create person centred healthcare environments, the Great Western Hospital has been displaying 75 works of art in and around its wards and departments.
Help us to continue to display artwork in the Hospital by making a gift today. Click donate now to support. Thank you!